Advertisement

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

• 2022 Independent IR program reviews

Posted by Unknown Member on March 7, 2021 at 7:52 am

Hey everyone, 
    Figured it was probably a good time to get started on a program review thread. Obviously there are still a lot of places still interviewing but cant hurt to start discussing programs a bit. Ill go ahead and post a few reviews to get things moving.

Miami Vascular:
    Incredible program with unreal facilities and obviously the most well renowned name in IR. They have done a great job growing the IO department and is now one of the leaders in the field. Obviously their PAD/aortic work is still relatively unparalleled. Attendings there were all nicer than I expected and seem to be great mentors. Still do bread and butter procedures including biopsies/drains etc. Relatively light on hepatobiliary. No trauma/peds. Best job placement in the country. Also probably the longest hours of any program in the country.

BID:
    Pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this program. Really well rounded with strong clinical emphasis. Very complex hepatobiliary work with strong IO and bread and butter cases. Also starting up some MSK IR/IO. Attendings were all friendly and supportive. Relative lack in PAD exposure. 2 months of Peds at Boston childrens. Fellows seem to get good jobs from coast to coast. Relatively busy year but not extreme. One of the most clinically oriented programs for better or worse depending on your preferences. 

MDAnderson:
    Great training program. IO is obviously great but more well rounded year than I had expected. Beautiful facilities in the biggest medical center in the world with incredible resources. PD is a super cool guy who is making improvements. Lots of faculty so may take a little longer to develop autonomy. Would end up a very skilled IR after training here in my opinion. Hours probably on the lighter side and have a lot of help from an army of PA/NPs. 

Michigan:
    Excellent program. Seems like they have recovered well from their exodus a few years back and have a lot of young, talented attendings there. Case load really hasnt changed and still get an excellent, well rounded experience. Still do a lot of PAD/Aorta work with strong IO/hepatobiliary etc. Minimal bread and butter so case numbers on the lighter side. Friendly environment and job placement seems solid (although many stay around the midwest). Their PD was probably the nicest on the trail. I have no doubt that this program is one of the premier programs in the country. Ann Arbor isnt for everyone but seems like a nice place for a year.

Unknown Member replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • scandoc

March 7, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Heres my recommendation for IR fellowship: go wherever you wanna live.

Wanna live in the bay area? Stanford and UCSF

Wanna live in Boston? BID MGH BWH

Wanna live in NYC? Columbia Sinai NYU cornell

Wanna live in the midwest? Go to the midwest.

Everything else is a wash. Miami Vascular better at aortic stuff, Brown better at brain stuff, but at the end of the day your fellowship choices matter not as much as you think.

Also big name gets good jobs.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
      March 9, 2021 at 8:05 am

Agreed. 

I’m in a private group doing 100% IR. We do full gamut, own an OBL etc. We’ve trained everywhere, we come from everywhere. Fellowship means very little. Don’t sweat it.