Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

• jquinones8812_854

June 25, 2008 at 5:23 pm

I would consider them if I thought they would work.  It isn’t the ‘tax’ part that bothers me.

Giving tax credits to the poor is fine, but more often than not what happens is the gov’t doesn’t take into account all of the true costs involved.  In this tax scenario, food, clothing, housing will all increase in cost. 

For example, i would assume that the poor live in older, less efficient housing; that would increase in cost as well.  The rich live, in general, in newer housing.  (I know some of these are gross exaggerations, but stick with me here).  A similar argument could be made with cars.  Giving a family 4 grand isn’t going to allow them to buy a new house, or buy a new car.  They will likely have to stick with the same old clunker, and still pay the tax.  Does this really help the environment?  The same for the house; no matter how much the gov’t will reimburse, are they going to buy people new houses?  New furnaces and water heaters?  4 grand is nothing.

As for your argument about ultraefficient cars, that actually works against you.  BAsically, then, whether you choose a highly polluting car or an ultraefficient one, you are polluting heavily; in which case, the tax will hit you, no matter what you do.  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  And I have no idea how you would make sure that cars are maintained; yearly inspections have not been shown to be effective in this manner, that is why many states have given up on them.  Ironcially, the two best ways to maintain high mileage are air pressure and air filters, both very economical/free.  But again, how does assure that this will happen?

On top of all that, pollution taxes will basically allow the rich to pollute as much as they want.  There is no curtailing of their spending, is there?  So what if their luxury car costs an extra couple grand a year?  Most don’t care.  Same with planes, etc.  Not to mention, I have no idea how you would regulate foreigners…

Again, it isn’t specifically the tax part of this I am against.  This is going to cost a lot of money, no matter how you do it.  I just am not convinced that this is going to work.