Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

• g.giancaspro_108

August 20, 2023 at 5:55 pm

Got it, thank you for the clarification.

IMHO, based on past experience, if a specific individual such as an IR or mammographer is in high demand especially at a difficult to staff spot, they may be able to command a high $/RVU and possibly even something commensurate with PP income.  Until they can’t.  Since PE has shown they are going to change the deal at will, we know that the IR/mammo person can move to X location, buy a house, put kids in school, the spouse invests in the community, and then suddenly their position no longer exists, the compensation model has changed, their duties are now split between three hospitals and involves hours of driving a day, or some other misery.  Yes, PP or academic or hospital employment models could have the same dreadful situation but based on historical performance, it is much more likely to occur to a PE rad.  
    This is to say nothing of the fact that those IR/mammo [i]have chosen to support the PE model [/i]knowing the destruction it is causing to those who practice medicine and those that need medical care.

Quote from m3db01

Quote from sandeep panga

I cannot tell is this is facetious or you haven’t read anything about PE ever.

Quote from m3db01

Do you guys think that working for PE perhaps is not as bad if you are in IR or mammo?

I’m not being facetious. It seems that IRs are held to lower wRVU thresholds at some PE owned groups given that they are involved in clinical encounters that are hard to quantify from an wRVU perspective. IRs may also hold some leverage in this regard as many of the PE owned groups are very dependent on maintaining their contracts with hospitals, of which IR coverage plays a big role. 

Meanwhile, as a diagnostic reader, your time can be milked so that every second is spent generating wRVUs for the group.