Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

• tdetlie_105

August 10, 2023 at 3:58 pm

Quote from boomer

Read Thinking, Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman

The book’s main thesis is a differentiation between two modes of thought: “System 1” is fast, instinctive and emotional; “System 2” is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. It applies to radiologists, IMO

Many fast readers use system 1, utilizing heuristics, essentially experienced shortcuts, to cut through the chaff. Unfortunately, it is less accurate, but is also less stressful and time consuming.

That nodule in on a 28 year old’s cxr? Is it real, and if it is, does it matter?Heuristics would blow it off, odds are its nothing. System 2 thinking would scrounge for old chest radiographs for at least peruse the EMR; usually for naught, but not always…

You have to look at the images, and there is a point where efficiencies can’t help. You have to figure out your ROC curve to some degree, and know your limitations. Don’t get forced interpreting past your abilities.

This is a very intriguing post for me personally.  I started the audio book version of this about 5 years ago but lost interest.  What you describe makes perfect sense and I see this is my current practice.  Not only are our system 1 readers faster/more productive, they are the ones that have the bandwidth to take extra shifts/internal moonlighting.  I imagine they leave more with more energy as well.  I am innately a system 2 which explains why I find the work to be so soul sucking at times despite reasonable volumes.  Going to revisit that book